Close ups of the new shield's oak edge lamination

corby's picture

This started with 2 pieces of 1/4" marine grade ply. When I failed to notice that I hadn't sized it to account for the front face being several inches wider than the back, I ended up needing to fill in that edge. Click for the whole article and pics.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
corby's picture

What it is

I have a lot, and I mean a whole lot, of red oak offcuts from milling rough boards into finished lumber. Clean, dry, flat and square, mostly.

This started with 2 pieces of 1/4" marine grade ply. When I failed to notice that I hadn't sized it to account for the front face being several inches wider than the back, I ended up needing to fill in that edge.

So I used the oak. I've just glued it on with titebond 2, then trimmed off the excess. As I went, I realized I could do more, and have laminated a couple pieces on to the face along the top, and I've taken a thin piece, water soaked it, and bent it around the bottom edge. Where I didn't get the clamping perfect, I have filled in gaps with epoxy.